PDA

View Full Version : Update from the CGL Team

Jay Arrera
05-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Hello, everyone.

For those of you who are not familiar with me, I am Jay Arrera, Executive Producer for City Girl Life. I have been working on this project since inception to current, for almost five years. During that time, the game has been incredibly successful and I am grateful to all of the *millions* of fans that have made this game so much fun to work on. During that time I have also had the pleasure to work with *hundreds* of people in the making and running this game both at Disney and RockYou.

Currently, City Girl Life is going through another transition. And some of that information was shared and misunderstood. So, I’d like to offer my perspective and some more information.

When Rockyou acquired City Girl Life, it was a renaissance for the game. My team had a strong vision for what we thought the game could be and Rockyou supported that. Rockyou invested heavily in the game, including bringing on most of the team that built the game at Disney, and have continued to hire people to expand the team even beyond what it was at Disney. Since Rockyou has taken over, they have added more developers, artists, designers, testers, community service folks, and all of the supporting team to make this game thrive.

It has been a wonderful challenge to bring fans daily content, weekly missions, new careers, lots of wonderful new features, and even squashing a few bugs; and doing that while people come and go from the project. Over the duration of this project, some team members move on to other companies, other projects or other careers. They are joined or replaced by eager professionals who have the same craftsmanship and collaboration that you have come to expect from the City Girl Life team. Many others, like myself, have been on this project for the duration. Part of my job has been managing those transitions so that players don’t have any interruption in their entertainment.

At this point, Rockyou runs City Girl Life with contributors from all over the world. Literally. In addition to our global audience, we have team members in multiple locations in the United States, Vietnam, Thailand, Italy, Argentina, and other locations.

For the past six months, I have been working with other members of the Rockyou team to train a new core team, so that City Girl Life can continue to be available for players and the original team can continue do what they love to do: make new great games. This has been a laborious process, involving thousands of hours of training and meticulous tracking and detail. The fact that players have not been aware of this transition until now is testament to how hard we have worked to maintain continuity.

However, we ran into a problem.

Just as most of the original team had been freed up to take on a new project, Rockyou ran into contractual issues and the new project was cancelled before it began. As a result, Rockyou has decided to close one of the sites that it operates around the world. That particular location was home to many of the core team that made City Girl Life in the first place.

That said, Rockyou continues to believe in City Girl Life, and has more people working on it than ever before. They believe in this game, its fans, and hope to operate it for a long time to come. There are no ‘creative differences’ between Rockyou and the original game creators. Yes, there will be changes as new people take on leadership roles on the project, but like the transition from Disney to Rockyou, I hope that the enthusiasm that the new team members bring to this game will inspire new features, new content, and more fun. As always, I ask for your patience as they learn and eventually excel.

And while it was adversity that caused Rockyou to make the difficult decision to close one of its sites, I am proud of the work we have done with this team and the people I have worked with to make this great game. And with any luck, the game will continue beyond our own individual contributions as fans continue to enjoy it.

If you have questions and concerns, I recommend you continue to reach out directly to Syed (https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008851112699&fref=pb_other), as I know you have been.

Michele Fineron
05-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Thanks so much for clarifying this issue as several stories have been making the rounds. It's great to have the players reassured that the game is continuing in good hands.

DebbieM
05-12-2016, 06:59 PM
TY Jay for all you do. I am super impressed with all of the new things RY has done for us CGL players. I'm a big player & spender on the game so thank you for explaining the issue for us.

Wendy Lachmuth
05-13-2016, 02:35 AM
Thank you, Jay!

Linda Sheets Young
05-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Thank you for taking the time to update us, it is very much appreciated!

Judith Naumoski
05-17-2016, 03:50 PM
I am a long term player of this game and it was once greate fun like KOC I think the new employees are accountants. Thank you for you explaination and I personal wish you good luck with the future.

Stephanie Hampton
05-29-2016, 08:37 PM
Thank You Jay For the information I wish you all the best of luck and we love City Girl Life

Janet Wescott
06-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Thank you Jay Arrera for giving us fans this update. I remember trying CGL a coupe of years ago, the online Disney version. I prefer the Facebook version and I like the differences Rockyou has made. I'm currently working with Syed on a ticket issue with my game that I feel sure will be resolved soon. Best of luck while getting everyone trained and settled in.

Marlene Sabba
06-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Janet Wescott ~ Is your issue with the game the same on as the rest of us have? ~ Not being able to receive gifts, or being unable to send gifts? Is that screen black? No names of neighbors to vote in the DL? No way to complete missions without gifts? If so, then what has SYED told you and can you share your info with the rest of us? There sure are a lot of us with the same problem! I have invested SO MUCH MONEY in this game for 3+ years, and it is VERY frustrating to be FORCED to quit because we have not had a "fix" for a WEEK! Thank you!

Brenda Lee Souza
07-03-2016, 06:41 AM
My game always been running slow and I'm so behind on my task . I wanted to know if its the game ? . Ty

Ronda Platt Fitzsimmons
07-27-2016, 05:22 PM
I do hope the many complaints you are getting on some of the changes are being considered. I know myself, my sister, my wife have all ended our vip memberships, and play once in a while now rather than hours a day. Don't care if we complete missions, don't really have anything fun to do anymore. Finishing up missions early, then filling up for next year was one way we kept busy while waiting for the next mission to come out. And then the thrill the next year when we would see how far our "filling up" took us into the current mission was fun. As soon as we finished the mission - often in 3 days - we got started right away on filling up for next year. It was virtually guaranteed we'd be playing next year with this system!

As soon as I, my sister, and my wife cancelled our VIP membership, we stopped being able to collect gifts, except one at a time, and then only after performing an action. We expected to lose the extra 10 having the VIP membership got us, but we certainly didn't expect to lose the ability to collect as many gifts as we wanted at a time. This bug has made playing torturous, rather than just dull. Syed's response was we recommend you collect one at a time and then perform an action so you can get your gifts. (First she told us to clear cache, of course, which we all do every day.) The only explaination I can imagine for this "bug" is that long term loyal customers that have paid hundreds on this game are switched to a known glitchy server when they unsubscribe to VIP.

I'm very grateful to RY for all of their efforts to save GoT, City Girls, and Words of Wonder from Disney's decision to close down this division. I've really enjoyed playing for so many years, and all of the talent and creativity was a joy in my life. I'd love to see you continue to thrive, if only so my gaming friends can continue to have fun on their favorite addiction. It's your game, and you get to run it any way you want to, no doubt. Hope you don't lose too many paying customers to stay around.

Warmest,
Ronda